Wednesday, November 5, 2014




Autobiography 


                             I recall asking the young boy if I can borrow his Gameboy and seeing his bemused countenance in response. It was my third week in the United States, and I was at a summer school trying to speak the foreign language as best as I can. I arrived to Los Angeles in my 3rd grade year. As an immigrant, English has always been a daunting subject since elementary school. It was at 3rd Street Elementary school where I began my battle against English. I began my academic career here with Mr.Han, my 3rd grade teacher. Mr.Han was a Korean-American as well, and he helped me develop English skills. Many times I spoke in my native language, unable to bear the difficulties of learning a foregin language. However, Mr.Han would always encourage me to use ENglish and talk to non-korean peers. Mr.Han's persistence in spriring me to speak English helped me establish my English skills. From Mr. Han, I learned to perservere and strive on despite the challenges I faced.

                            After culminating Third Street Elementary school I matriculated to John Burroughs MIddle School. At this junior high school I began to learn the more advanced aspects of English language, such as grammar, essay writing, and critical reading. Throughout my middle school years I was able to maintain an A in English, and an overall 4.0 GPA. The three years I spent at John Burroughs were important, for they prepared me for High School.
                           Soon after a short summer break I entered Fairfax High School. Though nervous, I was excited to encounter new challenges and knowledge. During my 9th grader year I learned the requirements for graduating, academic expectations of High School, and skills for efficient time management. Although High School classes were difficult at first, I began to develop strong time management abilities, critical thinking, and the faculty to deal with hardships. Thus, I was able to end my Freshmen year with a 4.0 grade point average. As I went onto my sophomore year, I aimed to challenge myself by taking AP courses; I wanted to test the academic skills I have developed during my 9th grade year. In the beginning of my 10th grade year I was overwhelmed. Studying difficult concepts of Biology and World History, completing large amounts of time-consuming work, and preparing for the AP exams were truly arduous. At time when I was inundated with studies and homework,I wanted to give up; however, at such moments, I remembered Mr.Han's perseverance and strove on. As a result, I finished my year as a salutatorian of the sophomore class, with a grade point average of 4.2.
                    Though not over,  my academic journey has been rough. Since my time at Third Street Elementary school I've developed crucial academic proficiencies that have helped me throughout my middle school and high school years. Had I not established the tenacity and capacity to endure hardship, I may not be where I am today, taking numerous AP courses and extracurricular activities. My experience at my elementary school with Mr.Han truly remain as a boon the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment